September 29th, 2009
Fourteen year old Natalie Morton, walked into school yesterday a happy, healthy little girl. Sadly, today she did not and tragically she will never walk through her school gates again. Yesterday Natalie was given one dose of the Cervarix HPV vaccine, the vaccine that the UK Government has portrayed as safe, a vaccine that Glaxo Smith Kline has said over and over is safe. For this little girl Cervarix was not because she died just a few hours later.
If Natalie was an isolated incident it could be seen to be a tragic but extremely rare allergic reaction. It is a recognised fact that all vaccines and medications carry risks but Cervarix has been in use for just under a year and although this is the first death associated with the vaccine, it is far from being the first adverse event. The adverse events are mounting up at an alarming rate.
These are recent figure taken from the MHRA or the Yellow Card reporting system
“This report summarises the adverse reactions suspected to have been caused by Cervarix human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine in the UK. This includes reports received between 14 April 2008 and 23 September 2009. These reports have been voluntarily submitted to the MHRA by healthcare professionals and members of the public via the Yellow Card Scheme .
SUMMARY OF UK SAFETY EXPERIENCE
Total number of reports received: 2,137
Total number of suspected reactions: 4,657
Estimated number of doses administered across the UK: at least 1.4 million doses”
These are the number reported so far as at 24th September 2009.
409 0f these reports are of anaphylaxic shock which can if left untreated lead to death, so is a severe reaction more common than we are led to believe?
As yet it is not known conclusively that Natalie died from the Cervarix vaccine but given that classmates also suffered reactions albeit mild in comparison, it is definitely time to get worried.
A full investigation is under way and the batch of vaccines that all the girls were vaccinated with has been quarantined as a precaution. A possible faulty batch is being blamed.
These are tributes from friends of Natalie taken from an article in the Telegraph by Chris Irvine Tributes to 14yr old schoolgirl who died after being given cervical cancer jab
“Tributes were already being posted last night on social networking website Facebook. A group titled ‘Natalie Morton – Forever in our hearts’ already had more than 200 members.